Competitions and Competition Rules
Monthly Photo Competitions
The Monthly Print Competition is an “Open” theme i.e. with no set subject. This competition is available only to financial members, with the exception of the February meeting.
There are two grades in the photo competitions that run through the year.
- A Grade
- B Grade
A Grade members can enter up to four (4) images. These have to be digital images and uploaded to the website.
B Grade members may enter up to four (4) images of any size to a maximum of A3 in print. Images should not be mounted or framed.
Images entered in the competition need to be:
- Taken by and be the work of the person entering the image.
- Of photographic origin. Images of artworks need to have a significant creative element added photographically to the final image to qualify.
- Taken within the previous 24 months. Members are allowed to enter one image that is older than 24 Months each month.
- Images can not have been entered in any previous month's competition.
Images are critiqued and awarded scores as follows:
- Bronze for 1 point: Images judged to be at this level should be of average quality.
- Silver for 2 points: Images judged to be at this level must be above average quality.
- Gold for 3 points: Images judged to be at this level must be of exceptional quality.
- Photo of the month 2 bonus points. The judge for each grade will award one only photo of the month which will receive two extra points
The scores from each month are added each photographers total at the end of the year. The highest total scores in both grades are awarded an individual trophy. Points earned in one grade can not be transferred to a different grade if a member changes grade during the calendar year.
The Quarter Club has a fixed subject and is voted by the members at the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th Monthly Meetings.
The subjects are decided at the beginning of the year and workshops arranged on these subjects.
There are no end of year points awarded for Quarter Club prints.
Entries for the Quarter Club may be up to A3 in size (297 x 420 mm). Images should not be mounted or framed.
Two entries per subject are allowed.
See Calendar for current Quarter Club Subject.
The Mackay Camera Group actively participates in external competitions.
The major ones of these are;
- Queensland Inter-club DPI
- Annual Display
Many of our members enter this Club Display and this is where we showcase our work to the public.
Header Image Credit: No closer please by Pamela Finger - A Grade